HCAOA continues efforts to highlight the negative impact of CMS’ proposed rule that would require states to ensure at least 80 percent of all Medicaid HCBS payments are spent on compensation for direct care workers, such as nurses, home health aides, and others who directly support Medicaid beneficiaries in activities of daily living at home. The remaining 20 percent of payments would be expected to cover all other HCBS operating expenses.
Last month, HCAOA and NAHC submitted comments on the rule in a 75-page document that emphasized the industry’s support to increase wages of direct care workers but challenged the 80/20 proposal citing a lack of data to support and implement the proposal, particularly in rural areas.
A fact sheet is now available, highlighting several state Medicaid officials’ comments and opposition to the rule. Members are encouraged to use the fact sheet in advocacy efforts to oppose this rule.